1. Quizzes (20 points): Two quizzes will be given over the course of the semester. Quiz #1 is scheduled for Monday, January 10, 2022, and Quiz #2 is scheduled for Thursday, January 20, 2022. Each quiz is worth 10 toward your final grade and will be multiple-choice and/or short answer in format.
2. Theatrical Response Essays (15 points):For this course, you will write a response essay based on each of the plays or theatrical productions that we will be studying in class. Each essay will address a different theatrical concept that we are exploring that week in class. Each essay should be no less than 600 words in length and should be typed, double spaced, in 12-point font with 1” margins. Essay submission will be through Blackboard. The due dates for the essays are 1/10/22, 1/18/22 & 1/24/22 and are listed accordingly on the course schedule.
3. Play Analysis Reports (15 points): For each play that we explore in this course, you will be asked to complete a Play Analysis Report. These reports are in response to our analysis of Elinor Fuch’s landmark essay, “Journey to a Small Planet” and the questions that she advises us to ask of a play. The template for the Play Analysis Report is on Blackboard and the due dates are listed on the course schedule.
4. Play Script Annotations (15 points): For each play that we explore in this course, you will be asked to annotate your observations, questions, responses as you read through the play. Using either an e-reader in Manifold or the Hypothes.is plug-in in Blackboard (depending on the play), you will notate your own observations regarding each play, as well as respond to questions/comments left by the instructor, as well as your fellow students. The annotations will be used to guide our conversations in-class.
5. Midterm Exam (15 points): Scheduled for Thursday, January 13, 2022. The midterm exam will cover information on all class lectures, textbook readings and knowledge of the plays read and analyzed in this class. Format for the exam will be a combination of multiple choice, short answer and short essay.
6. Final Exam Project (20 points): Scheduled for Tuesday, January 25, 2022. The final project for this class will be of three options: a final paper on a theatrical topic of the student’s choosing (to be approved by the professor); a final production project that will offer a production vision for one of the three plays that we will study; or finally, a playwriting project, where you create a 10-minute play in response to, or inspired by, one of the plays that we read in class. Assignment guidelines will be provided later in the semester.
|FINAL GRADE CALCULATIONS*|
|Quizzes (10 points each)||20 points|
|Theatrical Response Essays (5 points each)||15 points|
|Play Analysis Reports (5 points each)||15 points|
|Play Script Annotations (5 points each)||15 points|
|Midterm Exam||15 points|
|Final Exam Project||20 points|